Trees Need Some Spring Love too 🙂
As the weather warms up and plants begin to emerge from their winter dormancy, it’s time to start
thinking about spring fertilizing. Fertilizing in the spring is crucial for promotion healthy growth and
ensuring that your plants have the nutrients they need to thrive.
Spring fertilizing is an essential task for anyone who wants to contribute to healthy and happy trees.
Fertilizing provides the necessary nutrients for plants to grow, flower, and fruit. Here are some tips on
how to fertilize your garden this spring:
1. Know your soil: Before fertilizing, it is essential to know your soil type. Soil testing kits can be
done professionally or with a home soil test kit. Knowing your soil type will help you choose the
2. What are your goals: Are you trying to help newly planted trees through transplant? Are you
wanting to help a tree recover from damage? Would you like more growth? All these questions
help establish what type of fertilizer you need.
3. Choose the right fertilizer: There are many different types of fertilizers available, including
organic and synthetic. Organic fertilizers are made from natural materials and release nutrients
slowly over time. Synthetic fertilizers are made from chemical compounds and provide a quick
boost of nutrients. Fertilizer can also come in granular or liquid form. We recommend always
using a liquid fertilizer, so all the nutrients are readily available. Regardless, you need to choose
a fertilizer that is appropriate for your soil type and your garden goals.
4. Timing is everything: The best time to apply fertilizer is when your trees are actively growing.
For most trees, there is a lot of growth in the early spring, and sometimes a second growth spurt
throughout the growing season. Avoid using synthetic and/or high nitrogen fertilizers during hot
summer months, as this can burn plants. Organic fertilizers are much safer to use throughout
the entire growing season.
5. Water your trees: after fertilizing, water your trees thoroughly. This helps to distribute the
nutrients throughout the soil and prevents burning. Water deeply and infrequently, rather than
shallowly and frequently, to encourage strong root growth.
6. Repeat as needed: depending on the type of fertilizer you use, or the goals you have for your
backyard oasis, you may need a second application later in the season.
7. Consider mulch: Mulch is a GREAT way to increase the quality of your soil. It slowly adds
nutrients back into the soil as it decomposes, and while it does this, it helps with both soil
moisture and water retention. Mulch isn’t just aesthetically pleasing, it’s a great way to help
your trees thrive!
By following these tips, you can ensure that your plants have the nutrients they need to grow strong and
healthy throughout the growing season. Spring fertilizing is an important part of making sure your trees
are happy. By choosing the right fertilizer, timing your application correctly, and