Trees Need Some Spring Love too 🙂
As the weather warms up and plants begin to emerge from their winter dormancy, it’s time to start thinking about spring tree love starting with spring fertilizing. Fertilizing in the spring is crucial for promotion healthy growth and ensuring that your plants have the nutrients they need to thrive.
Spring fertilizing is an essential task for anyone who wants to contribute to healthy and happy trees. Fertilizing provides the necessary nutrients for plants to grow, flower, and fruit. Here are some tips on how to show your trees spring love and fertilize your garden this spring season:
1. Know your soil: Before fertilizing, it is essential to know your soil type. Soil testing kits can be done professionally or with a home soil test kit. Knowing your soil type will help you choose the right fertilizer.
2. What are your goals: Are you trying to help newly planted trees through transplant? Are you wanting to help a tree recover from damage? Would you like more growth? All these questions help establish what type of fertilizer you need.
3. Choose the right fertilizer: There are many different types of fertilizers available, including organic and synthetic. Organic fertilizers are made from natural materials and release nutrients slowly over time. Synthetic fertilizers are made from chemical compounds and provide a quick boost of nutrients. Fertilizer can also come in granular or liquid form. We recommend always using a liquid fertilizer, so all the nutrients are readily available. Regardless, you need to choose a fertilizer that is appropriate for your soil type and your garden goals.
4. Timing is everything: The best time to apply fertilizer is when your trees are actively growing. For most trees, there is a lot of growth in the early spring, and sometimes a second growth spurt throughout the growing season. Avoid using synthetic and/or high nitrogen fertilizers during hot summer months, as this can burn plants. Organic fertilizers are much safer to use throughout the entire growing season.
5. Water your trees: after fertilizing, water your trees thoroughly. This helps to distribute the nutrients throughout the soil and prevents burning. Water deeply and infrequently, rather than shallowly and frequently, to encourage strong root growth.
6. Repeat as needed: depending on the type of fertilizer you use, or the goals you have for your
backyard oasis, you may need a second application later in the season.
7. Consider mulch: Mulch is a GREAT way to increase the quality of your soil. It slowly adds nutrients back into the soil as it decomposes, and while it does this, it helps with both soil moisture and water retention. Mulch isn’t just aesthetically pleasing, it’s a great way to help your trees thrive! Click HERE to learn more about the mulch we make at Safe Tree.
By following these tips, and giving your spring tree love they deserve, you can ensure that your plants have the nutrients they need to grow strong and healthy throughout the growing season. Spring fertilizing is an important part of making sure your trees are happy.